Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why I'm Too Spacey for My Job Part 2

Important Meeting. Lots of Important People. Introduction. How I hate Introductions. Everyone went around and said their name and title. My title? Web Content Management Coordinator. Long? A little. Too much for me to handle anyway. When my turn to came my mind blanked out as usual. "Uh. Marisa Porter. Uh. Director of Web Content Management." Oh the guffaws and snorts and laughters from my team. "What did you get a promotion?" the most vocal of the group said.

It was a web conference, so the reactions went largely unnoticed by the other company present. But not in my room. The real director - the Director of Store Communications tried to stifle a laugh and continue on in the meeting while my cooworker Amy threw her head back and laughed. Another coworker rolled her eyes and shook her head. It was hard to surpress the snickers. I bit my lips for almost ten minutes and could feel the blood rise to my face.

I'll never hear the end of it. "Be like Marisa and you can be whoever you want." People say. "She's just a coordinator but she doesn't let that stop her. Today: Director of WCM. Tomorrow: SVP of Form-making."

No comments:

Post a Comment